Steps to Aged Care Entry

T he first thing you need to do for admission to residential aged care is to consult with the local Aged Care Assessment Team or ACAT. Usually based in hospitals, ACAT’s representative can be a doctor, nurse, or a social worker. This step is important because they shall assess your condition and determine whether you need to move to residential aged care or not. After assessment, ACAT may give recommendations of residential aged care facilities in your local area that are suited for you.
However, it is the family’s responsibility to find an appropriate accommodation for their loved one. ACAT may also provide another assessment in the form of “Centrelink Assessment” which primary goal is to determine your maximum possible Refundable Accommodation Deposit or RAD (previously known as accommodation bond) if you have aged pension benefits.

There are five clear steps identified by the Australian Government in moving to a residential aged care:

The Federal Government’s website is a useful resource in finding residential aged care in your local and surrounding suburbs. In your preparation to moving to aged care, it is important that you get financial advisory services early on so you can avoid stress and worry about nursing home costs, and how to pay for them.

You don’t have to be alone in this journey. Perth Aged Care Financial Advisers are here to help you in every step of the way. Call us today on 1300 4PACFA and we will be glad to assist you.